Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Working with Shiva Paintstiks

Shiva Painstiks are a wonderful way to add color to fabric. What makes them exceptional is that they are made from oil rather than acrylic, so they have a rich depth of color that is hard to beat. They come in a nice variety of colors, are blendable, and have beautiful iridescent colors as well. They stay put when applied and do not bleed around the borders of their color. Clean up is easy. The down side is that they are difficult to apply evenly to a rough textured fabric like Aida cloth and they do take a while to dry. They are a bit messier than acrylics as well, since they have a tendency to leave tiny bits of themselves around the work area (so you have to be diligent since they are permanent). That is why you see the parchment paper under the items. But they are washable (not dry cleanable) and they are OIL paints for use on fabric which I absolutely love. So here you can see that I am experimenting with the different colors to see how they look and how fast they dry on my samples of Aida. I'm also looking at silk fibers and Floche to see how those match up as well. I will be playing with acrylics next and maybe, if I am still undecided, I'll get the fabric markers out too. Right now I just want to get the fabric prepped for the next project so I can start to work right away when ready.

I am loving the colors for this project!

Big thank you to Joe for getting my laptop back so quickly and doing a great job!

Until next time a small thought nugget:

"If one only wished to be happy, this could be easily accomplished; but we wish to be happier than other people, and this is always difficult, for we believe others to be happier than they are."
~Montesquieu

No comments:

Post a Comment