Thursday, July 20, 2017

Glorious Vintage Glass Beads!


When I was looking for vintage brooches I ran across some vintage glass beads designed by Miriam Haskell, a well known American jewelry designer of the 20's through the 60's, whose company still makes beautiful jewelry. I was enthralled by the simple beauty of these beads, and amazed how unaware I was that glass beads from the past survived to the present. What a revelation. I then began my search for what I thought I could use in my work of these glorious treasures. To my surprise and delight, I found there were more than I expected.

A lot of what I found I couldn't use, like cabochons, being too big, and unworkable colors for me, but there were many that I could use. These are so special to me because of their history and the fact that they are survivors of those bygone times which adds an intrinsic value that could not otherwise be had. Since these are not a renewable resource, they add a unique feature to my work.

The problem is, because they are finite and quite lovely, it is hard to let them go! LOL! It is crazy how you can be so anxious to use them and yet know that once gone, they can't be replaced, so there is that hoarding aspect to contend with too. What a paradox!

Since these beads cannot be used in every project, it is easier to incorporate them in the smaller group of those that they will work in. Letting go of them over a longer period of time will ease the loss of a dwindling inventory, although I will still be on the lookout for more and hopefully able to replenish stock, even if not in the same kind. I think most people can identify with these beads in that they are still around, surviving the abuses of time and existence. And like us, they can still maintain a quiet dignity and beauty all their own and keep shining through somehow in their own special way.

No comments:

Post a Comment