Thursday, July 6, 2017

Perfection in Imperfection


I was discussing with a friend the dilemma I was having about using a vintage brooch that I loved and wanted to design with, but it had a few minor flaws to it that though apparent, really didn't detract from the beauty and individuality of the design. At least that is the way I thought of it.

Now I don't have a set formula for what I require in a brooch or beads or any other embellishments, it just has to strike an inner chord of mine that stirs my imagination. That could be the unique design, the color, the material it is made from, or some other interesting qualities, and in that moment I am careful to look for imperfections as well. However, I never discount a piece if I find one or two things wrong with it because I am not looking for perfection in a piece that is old and may have been a beloved piece of someone in the past and used often for that reason. Don't misunderstand, I have many brooches that are perfect and I love those as well, however, those that are flawed truly show me what women of the past used and cared about and that is what drives the decision to get it even when it has had a small mishap or two along the way. I repair what I can when it is possible without being obvious or if it's not too complicated, but even if the flaw remains, it is still endearing to me because I know that its history was remarkable in some way to someone. I can just imagine the stories these lovely pieces of jewelry could tell if they could only speak.

Even though they sit silently waiting for the next phase of their future, and no one really knows much of their past, they do talk to those that listen and let them know that like people, they can endure much and still manage to maintain a beauty all their own and hold secrets only to be imagined and never told.

No comments:

Post a Comment