Thursday, July 6, 2017

Customizing Beads

On my next project, Oriental Expressions, I found some beads that I really thought would be perfect for the design and ordered them. When they arrived, the color was wrong. I had already looked at so many beads that had to be rejected for one reason or another and so was not sure if I could find substitutes for them. When that happens, I turn to my Martha Stewart All Purpose Acrylic Paints that can be used on glass, and therefore, on glass beads. I used the satin finish paint for these and I couldn't have been happier with the results. Since the beads I work with are relatively small, it can be messy, and usually takes several coats of paint to cover completely and some time for them to dry and cure, but the results are well worth it.


I don't like to employ this method except in rare instances when there is no other recourse, simply because I am a purist and prefer to use materials that are 100% of what they claim to be. That is one of the reasons why I would not use any type of glue unless as a last resort to fasten things in my work. And only then the very best of the best that has proven great ability to hold and last indefinitely. My track record in the past with most glues has been disappointing at best, so I avoid them as much as possible. Stitching items onto a base with fibers is my absolute favorite way to go because of its longevity and what I think is just a classier look.

I'm also including a picture of the brooch that is the centerpiece of the design. I love the colors and how unique the design is of this vintage brooch.


Will be updating the progress of Ladybug Lake next time, until then I leave you with this thought:
"Searching for possibilities outside your safety zone will plunge you into learning processes that never stop".
-Michael Fleishman

No comments:

Post a Comment