Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Painting on Fabric



I have been extolling the virtues of painting on fabric for a while, and will be getting a video out about it soon. My samples are all just about ready and I have been having a blast doing this! First and foremost it is FUN! Second, it is a great way to customize fabric and therefore projects. Lastly, but certainly not least, it spurs the creative juices on and leads to planned and serendipitous inspiration. How can you NOT want to play with this technique? LOL!

First of all I will let you know the media I used. I have talked about the Shiva Paintsticks, Jacquard Fabric Paints and Martha Stewart Multipurpose Paints, which are my first loves and staples with fabric painting. Next of course are my Faber Castell Gelatos, which I have now learned I can't live without. I also have some spray on fabric paints which includes, Mr. Huey's, Tattered Angels, DecoFabric Glitter Spray and DecoFabric Spray. I also have experimented with Twinkling H20's (which sometimes I mistakenly call Sparkling H20's-I guess because they sparkle to me more than twinkle), but they are in little bitty pots and not spray bottles. Now, here's the thing, I have had most of my paints for years now, and so I'm not sure if some of them (besides the top 4 on the list) are still made, and/or available. I have seen that Twinkling H20's are no longer made, however, I cannot verify that for sure, it was just something I read on someone's blog, so you may have to do your own investigative work if you are interested in trying them.

I did order and receive the new Gelatos and added them to my palette sampler, as well as used one of the iridescent colors in my mist sprayer. These new colors are just gorgeous and what a surprise how it turned out!

Now here is a site that has something quite different to use for coloring fabric. Colored pencils! Which just goes to show that you can never stop experimenting with new media to see what will work for what you need. Check it our here:

https://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/2011/12/29/inktense-fabric-paint-tutorial/

I again have out of town family visiting for several days so will not be posting until next week. I do hope to have my next video posted tomorrow, but those take a bit of time so who knows for sure, but that is the plan at least! LOL!

Another thought nugget:

The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.
~Emile Zola

No comments:

Post a Comment