Thursday, April 19, 2018

Fiber Fun #2


So today let's talk fiber, beautiful, sparkly fiber! In addition to Legacy, Threadworx also makes an artisan dyed metallic fiber using Krienik metallic braid. Comes in three sizes, #4, #8, and #12. With about 80 colors or more depending on the size you have a great palette to choose from. Also, they come in 10 yard skeins. For my purposes I use the #4.


The strands separate out very willingly so you can add or subtract them as you need. They are very easy to work with and so much fun. Isn't that sparkle amazing?!


Here I have stitched on 14 count Aida using two strands. This color called "Bradley's Balloons" reminds me of a carnival. I wanted to see the color transition so I stitched a long row this time.


Here is a close-up of the stitching. It lays down great and it all sparkles, although it is more prominent on the lighter colors.

So all in all this is another amazing fiber to get a hold of and use. Now again, it is more expensive so I don't know if you would want to use it for a large project, although you certainly could, but with the ten yards you should have plenty to fill your needed spaces. Once again, I got mine at Needle in a Haystack (but I'm sure there are other sources if you prefer), and I believe these are special order items so it may take a little bit of extra time to get them. Believe me they are totally worth it!

Link to the Threadworx website:
http://threadworx.com/

I hope you are seeing at this point that there are a lot of other fibers out there that could be used for needle arts, as well as the great cotton standbys we all love and use. Some you will love, some not so much, however, you will find that you can create lovely textures and effects with them.

UPDATE
After experimenting with the Tattered Angels, I wanted to see how watercolor pencils would work (of course you have to experiment and have fun) on the Aida. So again I took another scrap and wet the fabric first then applied my Faber Castell watercolor pencils. I have to tell you I loved working with them. Now I don't think they are permanent or could be heat set (maybe with a fabric medium, I'm not sure) but Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils are. I will discuss this more next week, with photos.

BREAKING NEWS!
I discovered that Judy, at Artistic Artifacts, is going to be selling the Twinkling H2O's in sets only in the future, so if you want to pick up a few of the individual pots, now is the time.
Here is the link:
https://www.artisticartifacts.com/product/45.html

She also has the latest and greatest set of Faber Castell Gelatos. These are called translucents and have come at a perfect time for me. I forgot to mention on my video that I also used my Gelatos on my mixed media project and they were fun on paper as well as fabric. They are just too too easy to work with! Yeah!
Here is the link:
https://www.artisticartifacts.com/SRCH.html?SearchOffset=24&Offset=24&Search=gelatos&Per_Page=12&Sort_By=disp_order

See you next week!
Keep Creating

No comments:

Post a Comment