Thursday, April 12, 2018

Different Effects with Tattered Angels

So what do you want to do with your background? There are plenty of dyed pieces out there and the option to do it yourself if you are so inclined. I found this kit on the Tattered Angels website shop and I wanted to try them because I thought they would give the background of one of my projects an ancient aesthetic. Here is what happened after I played with them.

This set is supposed to simulate concrete, but
the colors were perfect for what I needed
What I discovered is that the effects are way different on paper than on Aida fabric. I also learned that you basically have to come up with the look you want by experimenting with the paints.

Example One. When I followed directions it seemed to me what I got was a dirty looking piece of cloth which isn't what I wanted. I then decided to try more techniques on paper next.

My first attempt with the kit. Looks like a car tire ran over it
a couple of times.

Example Two. This one looked like pure chaos and not the intriguing kind.


My first attempt at dabbing with a paintbrush.
One word, UGH! Looks like a Rorschach Test.
Example Three. Instead of using a paintbrush, I decided I would just spray and dry. I really liked the way this one turned out. Now to see if I could replicate it on fabric.


Now we are getting somewhere! I think this is
a gorgeous version (on paper).
Example Four. I like this one much better. It has a mottled look and I realized I am getting better with each attempt. Now here is the thing. It is better to build up your color by layers rather than giving them a hard spray. It is easy to reapply the other colors if you want to by just spraying and then LIGHTLY giving them a brush with your paintbrush. I actually put paint on my non-stick surface and then wet my brush to dilute the paint, grabbed a very little of the paint and applied it LIGHTLY. There is a very subtle sparkle, somewhat akin to the way sand looks, which is perfect for what I'm going for. I thought that most of them (or at least those I used) could be used on fabric and porous surfaces, but maybe not...fact checking needed.


The final paper example is on the left and the
final Aida fabric sample on the right. There is
a difference in the outcome of both, but still
is satisfactory.
Now on these you will notice that there is a texture that I was trying to obtain. I used some of the Glimmer Glaze and the Glimmer Glam together to get that effect. You have to apply them heavily to get it to work and then use a heat gun to heat it up quickly until it bubbles. I am still playing with this but it is interesting and I'm hoping I can get it the way I want for an upcoming project too. It truly is cool and unique.


On paper.


On paper.


It really didn't bubble up on the Aida cloth, at
least not noticeably. Maybe it was the material
or it could have been the rougher texture, not
sure. More experimentation is in order to find
out why.
Here is something to consider with these, the sprays are messy because they are sprays, naturally, and I found them to be inconsistent with the application (some left a blank space in the middle of the spray, some made droplets and some didn't, one of the sprayers didn't work right at all). I can see now why they sell replacement bottles. They also recommended using a fan brush which I didn't have and I can see how that would have helped make it easier to move the colors around. On the fabric, I'm thinking I might heat set my final sample because one thing I noticed too, is that when you rewet the fabric with water or paint, it moves it around, even after it has been dried with a heat gun. Maybe it has to cure for a certain amount of time, I don't know, I can only speculate. While that is great for being able to work on it and make changes, I don't know if you would want to get it wet and see the colors run together after the project is completed, so you may not be able to wash it. I'll definitely have to explore this more before considering it for a finished piece.

My main concern is whether I will be able to stitch through the paint. I would really like to have that option if I want to add more to an area, however, I am not opposed to leaving a portion with just paint on it either if it works with the design. That wouldn't be a concern with the bubbling effect, because who would want to stitch over something that cool? Not a problem for me. LOL! More things to consider, but that is what this journey of exploration is all about anyway, right?!

I have to tell you, even with all the question marks and spray bottle hassles, I enjoyed using these. They lent an interesting aspect to fabric that is different from other paints. I certainly plan on playing with these more to see what I can come up with, and of course let you know what I find out.

So until next week, here is another thought nugget:

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Unknown (at least to me)

No comments:

Post a Comment