Monday, April 24, 2017

Inspiration Happens!


So what is my inspiration? Is it a flash out of the blue? An object? A certain media? A picture? A glimpse of nature? Actually all of it applies. For Ladybug Lake it was actually some glass ladybug beads that I had in my stash. I made some stick pins with some of the beads and was struck with an idea for a design. It was slow going with a rough sketch, then graphing it a couple of times to get the final design. Then it was time to get the colors and then materials selected. The actual story behind this is a motorcycle trip my husband and I made with some friends to the top of a mountain one spring. It overlooks this beautiful big lake and the day was gorgeous with the sunshine dancing across its surface and making it look like it was dotted with diamonds. We were so fortunate to have been there the day when thousands of ladybugs happened to be there too on the scrubby vegetation scattered about the landscape. We stumbled across a slice of heaven that day making it one that I will never forget. When I started the design I knew that water would be an integral part of the design and wanted to give the same impression of the light dancing across it by adding blue and silver blending filaments. Even though it meant a lot more work, I knew it had to be added.
In this case the beads sparked the inspiration, but it was a grouping of that along with the experience and the fibers that made the design happen. In another design I am working on it is the beads AND the fibers that inspired the design. On another I am working on, it is a piece of vintage jewelry that drove the idea. In another I have in mind, it is what I saw of nature on a university campus. So my inspiration comes from everything and anything and I love that unpredictability for my art. I love doing the work and seeing it all come together fills my heart with pride and the joy it brings to myself and others is the icing on the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment