Saturday, April 29, 2017

Getting Framed


Since Ladybug Lake is moving along so well, I have begun thinking about how to frame not only it, but future projects. The pieces I am thinking about for the near future I believe would look best matted, and it seems to me that having them done in a simple mat with a black frame will suit not only this one but also Ladybug Leaves when that gets underway. For a different one I started a while ago but put on the back burner, probably a more traditional frame would fill the bill.

There is a local frame shop that I'm interested in contacting about doing the work, since I pass it by frequently and it has been in our town for a while now. However, I know from experience that it is hard to find a good needlework framer. I think I have "framing anxiety" from a piece I made for my daughter and wanted framed. A friend of mine suggested this place that actually was a photography studio but she told me also framed needlework. Trusting her that they were good, I gave them my piece. Now custom framing is not cheap for needlework, and this probably holds true for any framing job, but I figure it is worth it to have it look professional. After paying for the job and then getting to see it afterwards, I was shocked how poorly it was done. Even worse, when I pointed it out, I was met with this incredulous look, like I had just told them an alien landed in their parking lot. Fortunately they were agreeable to try to improve their work, and the second attempt looked better but was not what I was looking for.

I could take my work to my closest needlework shop, but they are quite a distance drive from me, always charge more than regular storefront framers, and take forever, and this is all contingent on if they have someone they can farm it out to. The stars all have to perfectly align which seldom happens for me. So at this point I will talk to my local frame shop and see if they even do needlework framing, and if not, I'll probably have to slog out to the needlework shop and hope the stars are in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment