Thursday, March 30, 2017

Substance and Longevity

When I was a young girl I remember seeing the movie starring Yul Brynner and Ingrid Bergman called Anastasia. The movie was about whether or not a woman was the real grand duchess of the royal Romanov dynasty or an imposter, since all the children of the Czar were allegedly murdered by the Bolsheviks. Since then the story of the Romanov's fascinated me especially when I later learned of their fabulous Faberge eggs. To me, their beauty and originality could only come from hugely talented artisans, and the fact that they have survived for many to become museum pieces, made me realize that they had great substance to have that longevity. To me that is the epitome of art. If it is to have longevity it must be of substance, and that is what I want for what I make. I know that if I spend the time, use high quality materials, and am honest about making my inspirations realities, my pieces will have substance. I don't think it can be denied that even though styles and trends come and go, those pieces of art that are truly born out of the beauty of the creative soul, will never lose their appeal or fascination, and like the pyramids, the work will stand the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment