Monday, May 21, 2018

Working with Pencils and Gelatos

So here is the breakdown of working with the pencils and the Gelatos for coloring your working fabric. THEY ARE FABULOUS! If you want to create a dyed look only with more control, then this is the option for you too. First the Derwent Inktense pencils. The tools will be the same for both products.
Water Cup

Spray Bottle

Heat Gun
 Be sure to have a small sample piece of material to work on first so you can experiment before tackling your actual project.


Practice with the pencil for the way you want the outcome.

Blend into the fabric with a brush. I use Martha
Stewart Craft Brushes which are sturdy for fabric work.

Add additional colors the same way and blend.

A little more interest with splatter from Twinkling H2Os.
 Of course everyone will customize doing this the way that is best for them, but this is how I do it:
1. Saturate the fabric with water (can soak it with the spray bottle)
2. Using the side of the pencil, just run it over the fabric where you want color. Blend it in with a wet paintbrush. Do the same with other colors you want to add.
3. Heat set with a heat gun in between applications to get an idea what it looks like dry. Rewet with spray bottle to add color or change design. Keep a white and black or dark grey pencil handy to add highlights or shade. Continue the process until you are happy with the appearance.
4. To get the spatter I tapped a fan brush on my finger that I used Twinkling H2O's on.

Gelatos
For the Gelatos I essentially did the same thing and used the translucents right out of the tube. The Gelato colors do not move around as readily so where you put them is basically where they will stay. However, what I did was put some on my finger too and rubbed it on the fabric to add color. You could use a brush too.

I wanted to make a pastel version to show what those colors would look like, and I think they came out awesome!


I first spread the Gelato on the silicone sheet,
wet it down, and then used a brush to apply it
to the fabric.

The translucents are really translucent. I knew
I would have to layer more to produce the color
I wanted.

Just added it to fabric straight from the stick.
Fun, Fun, Fun!

I wanted to also add this beautiful Translucent
minty green color. Again, straight from the tube.

After blending in with a brush the results were perfect!

The pencils on the left and the Gelatos on the right.
Both were easy to work with and gave great results.
Though similar but different, the effects vary with
each medium. I loved working with both and will
definitely use them in my work!
Now I am going to heat set them with an iron and see how colorfast they are which is going to be the final step. I mean, who wants to stitch something up only to realize they can't wash it if it is soiled because the colors will be all over the place. Before it is heat set, it would be nice if you could wash the color out if you are just not happy with the results and start over. Kind of like gessoing over paint to start over on a canvas. That's a money saver as well as a time saver. You don't have to mix colors either, if you need a blue background just use a blue pencil. It's exciting to know that you are working on your own Mona Lisa or Picasso and are making the decisions for your creations beautiful outcome.

One thing to add and I didn't even think about this at the time I was working on it, is that the samples I used had sizing in the fabric. When I was brushing on the fabric, the sizing was liquefying and had to affect the outcome to some extent. How much I can't say for sure, but it may have made it lighter and could alter the color fastness as well.

Before I wrap this up I also wanted to share a find I recently made. I have been looking at these beads on Amazon for a while and recently broke down and ordered them. They were very inexpensive and consist of interlocking metal rings. They are so petite I can't believe how small the rings are and how many there must be! I saw a lot of potential for them in a design. Here is an example of a flower and then just added embellishments they could be used for. On a cross stitched flower they would be stunning, because honestly they look like they are made from small rhinestones when the light hits them. So you never know where you will find your next mixed media treasure, and that makes doing this work even more exciting. Always keep your eyes and mind open to the possibilities!

My wonderful bead find that can be stitched in
a variety of configurations.

You can see how diminutive they are here.
Doesn't show, unfortunately, how the light reflects
off them, very unique.
 Until later this week, KEEP CREATING! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment