Tuesday, January 9, 2018

On the Bookshelf Series, 2018, #1


I guess the stars recently aligned correctly because I happily ran across a lot of great books on needlework, fiber art, mixed media, etc., and I am very excited about bringing information about them to you. Some I have purchased, some I intend to purchase, and others I would love to purchase. Over the years I have collected a lot of books on various subjects and ended up donating them to the local library or giving them away, but what I have always stubbornly hung onto are my needlework and mixed media books and now I have quite a reference library of my own on them. They are helpful with not only giving valuable information when needed but are also just a joy to look through when a bit of inspiration is needed. I am always wowed by the work of artists past and present and seeing what they accomplished. I especially love the older books, some of which are now impossible, or nearly so, to obtain, but chocked full of wonderful info that is priceless to know, especially the early designers making breakthrough art in fiber and with needle and thread.

Speaking of such, the first book I want to discuss is called, "Ayrshire Needlework" by Agnes F. Bryson (120 pages in total) and published by Batsford. What an amazing find this was and I am so glad I have it! For a used book this was in amazing condition and even had the original pattern sheet still attached to the inside back of the book. That is akin to being miraculous for a book that was published in 1989! Something else to consider is that there is not a lot of information out there about this particular needle art, so information of any sort is to be treasured. This is a shame because it truly is a beautiful, remarkable embroidery/needlepoint. Yes, it combines the best of both worlds, which makes it even more exceptional.

Let's break it down shall we? First of all the author gives us a very intimate history of its Scottish origins. How it came about as a cottage industry in the early 19th century is interesting, but then there are other tidbits she throws in the mix that are pretty astounding, like how they actually did the wash back then, which to me was back breaking and so time consuming that I was tempted to hug my washer and dryer in appreciation of their modernity. Ditto for the lighting and magnifiers I can now use to work by when back then it was by the light of a fire or a candle. They actually used whiskey for eye drops thinking it helped their sight, which the author copied and after the stinging subsided noticed no remarkable improvement in her vision. LOL! It is full of wonderful black and white photographs of both the antique versions and the authors newest take on them. The work in both instances is just stunning, but I can't help but remember the harsh conditions the "flowerers", as they were called then, had to stitch these beautiful pieces in and realize the true intrinsic value embedded in them. These were not only made for family and friends as heirlooms for special occasions, but the women doing this work on a production type scale were supplementing their impoverished family's income, and in some cases, actually being the sole provider when their husbands were not working. This work was a matter of survival for many.

Next up are directions for the stitching. While I haven't tried any yet, they look detailed and easy to follow with patterns in the book and a sheet for a christening gown motif attached to the back of the book. The materials seem to be pretty basic, although the material calls for cotton lawn which I am unfamiliar with, but also includes a stiletto and cotton sewing thread of a particular weight and not mercerized. The scissors have to be of a certain point and sharpness because of the small cutouts to be made in the needlepoint stitches.

I highly recommend this book for any needleworker's reference library. It can be purchased from used book sellers at reasonable prices if you shop carefully and check often. The history and insight into the actual stitchers of this remarkable embroidery art form makes this a great read as well. Thank you Agnes for providing this information so we can continue to treasure, and hopefully make, Ayrshire Needlework.

No comments:

Post a Comment