Thursday, January 18, 2018

Did Someone Say Sparkle? Vineyard Silk Shimmer


 
 
So we are going to talk about fibers for a bit. How do I love fibers? Let me count the ways.....too many to count! LOL! I love the variety of colors and textures that fibers come in now and they are so easily accessible via brick and mortar in most locations or the internet for everywhere. So we have a lot of different ways to go to begin but let's take them by a simple category of what they are made of first. Now please keep in mind that I use 14 count Aida, so that is what these demos will be used on too. Some will not work on finer thread counts because they are too thick or delicate and need larger holes to work successfully. Sparkle is first up because it is just too fun! I know there are a lot of people that can appreciate the drama and beauty of a bit of sparkle here and there and now and then. It can not only be whimsical but add mystery and beautiful highlights as well.

The first I'll mention in our sparkle line-up is Vineyard Silk Shimmer. These are simply gorgeous! Now they are on the thick side, and require a bit more work in the stitching because of it, but they are so very worth it.

Now I stitched a fun fiber sampler that I designed myself so I could see what they looked like in an actual piece of work. It was a hoot and I am more than happy to provide the pattern to anyone that would like to download it and stitch it themselves. The "P" is stitched with the Vineyard Silk Shimmer and the photo does not do it justice. Something to keep in mind is that this is a bulkier fiber and so I have to use a larger needle in order to make the hole bigger before the thread goes through. This causes less friction and thus less wear and tear. It really does lay nicely and gives a wonderful elevation to the work too. It is made from luxurious silk with a metallic intertwined to give it that subtle shine, so even though it is a little bit pricier, it certainly will add value to anything it is stitched in. Here is the link for more information.
http://vineyardsilk.com/

Here is a picture of the finished sampler.

Some of the sparkle comes through quite nicely in the photo and it was a blast to stitch! It is also a reminder to play and have fun while working on my art. Bright and cheerful and a great pick-me-up on these cold grey days or any time I need a smile.

Hope you are all staying cozy warm!

Thought Nugget:
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."
~Thomas Alva Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment