Monday, January 8, 2018

In the Beginning...A Fiber Sampler



So, before we even begin to talk about fibers, let's first talk about the need for a place to put examples of them. If you want to keep track of what various stitched fibers will look like in your work, then you have to have a fiber sampler, plain and simple. Now the format of doing it is very much left up to each individual. It can be big or small, left on a ring or placed in a notebook of sorts, contain information that is detailed or broad, it is strictly up to the stitcher as to how they want it to look.

As an example, I just use the cheapest 14 count Aida cloth I can buy at the local craft store (because 14 count Aida is what I primarily use) and put it in this oval hoop. When I have filled the piece up, I remove it, trim it up with pinking shears and then attach it with eyelets to a sketch book page. For me it is very random as far as placement, although I do try now to keep the number of stitches the same, as well as keep the information I provide consistent. I always put down the manufacturer, name of fiber, color number if available, and number of strands used. I use a fine tip fabric marker to write this information on it. You could also write on a separate paper page where you purchased it with their contact info as well as the price you paid. If you like a more organized and designed look, then certainly go with what works for you. This is your reference so customize it according to how you want it to look and above all, have fun with it! I will give information at the end of this blog as to what materials I used for my sampler if you are interested. Happily they can all be purchased just about everywhere.

So get your material in the hoop and whatever way you will store it ready and be prepared to have a blast finding out about all the wild, wonderful fibers you can fall in love with out there.

* 4.5"x9" inch oval embroidery hoop
* Canson XL 7"x10" inch (17.7cm x 25.4cm) Mix Media Sprial Sketchbook
*Eyelets made and attached with We R Memory Keepers Crop-A-Dile Eyelet and Punch Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment