Saturday, November 4, 2017

Switching It Up


We have been talking about fabric paints for a while and I think it is time we changed it up a bit. With DMC's release of their new cotton floss colors, I think it is time to look at some fibers, don't you? After all, they are the lifeblood of any kind of needlework, and ever so much more important to those that are pursuing the artistic vein of it. There are such a variety out there now that of course it makes our jobs so much more of a joy and gratifying. I have used a lot of different fibers over the years and must confess I love them all! That is not to say though that they are all easy to work with, because some of them can be a challenge, but the effects are always more than worth it.

Let me start with the tried and true and my most favorite cotton floss, DMC. I love DMC because I have used it since I was a child and they still make the same great quality fiber to this day. The fact that they continue to expand their line, shows they are still committed to providing needleworkers with great resources from their company. I also was very fortunate a few years back to snag up all that I could of their linen floss and their flower threads before they disappeared forever. I was really saddened by the fact that they discontinued those two lines, in addition to their crewel wool. I admit, I have tried others, mainly out of curiosity, but I never did see any significant difference, and even though others will always burst upon the scene with claims of being better, it's hard to beat the company that has been around since 1746. I've always considered them to be the benchmark of floss by which I judge all others. Plus, they are carried practically everywhere, so there is never a problem finding the color I need, and pricing is truly reasonable, especially when you catch them on sale. How can you not love this fiber?

As for storage, I tried winding them on those cardboard floss bobbins, but they just didn't really work for me. Instead, I use the plastic storage bags and here is why. I usually have more than one skein of floss in various colors and the bags store more of them. They also are handy to hold any leftover strings I may be able to use next time. I don't have those sharp folded angles on my thread to hassle with and it saves me time to just pop them in a bag rather than have to wind them. Since they are stored on rings, when they come up with a new color number, I just add a bag to the ring and don't have to move a bunch of them around to be in correct order. Easy Peasy!

Also, be sure to check out their website. They have lots of wonderful free patterns, including archived alphabets and designs, to download and use. They also showcase the original works of contemporary needleworkers, which is wonderful to see who else is out there and what they are doing. You can sign up for their newsletter too to stay on top of new announcements. My understanding is that they have a site for the United States and one for Europe so be sure to check the correct site for information.

So stay tuned until next time for more fibers!

Thought Nugget:
To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.
~Kurt Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment