Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Progress and Fun!



So here in the middle of Oklahoma we have had unexpected relief from the usual drought we experience during our searing summers, especially in August. Rain has been falling off and on since last week and we are ever so grateful for it. In return though, when it is not raining, we have muggy, humid weather which quite frankly we are not used to around here, where the air hangs thick and motionless. When I moved to Oklahoma almost 40 years ago I learned three things, the wind always blows so your hair is usually a birds nest, the residents do not wear coats in cold weather (most of the time anyway), and they don't generally carry umbrellas (unless they are walking a great distance, as from a distant parking lot to work and have to look nice when they get there). I guess that is why they are a hardy bunch, and though I was amazed at these habits at first, I confess that now I own a winter coat that is barely touched and an umbrella that half the time I have no idea where it is, and the other half when I do, it is pretty much ignored.

So while the rain is doing its hit and miss routine, I have been busy with stitching and want to give a quick update. I am about nine rows away from finishing with the blue of the water. Yes, I am doing a happy dance! Then I will begin again on the blending filament to highlight the water stitching. While blending filament can be a pain when it is uncooperative, when it does, it actually stitches up very quickly, at least that is what I have found over the silk fiber. So I am hoping that finishing that part of the project up will not be unduly complicated or slow, but even so, it will be fun to see it get closer to the finish line.

I will be doing another video hopefully by weeks end on Faber Castell Gelatos. These are the Swiss Army Knife of mixed media, as they can be used with water like a water color or straight from the holder. They can be used on a variety of surfaces, my favorite of which of course is fabric. Another great way to color fabric without the use of dyes. So stay tuned this week for more fun in the studio. In the meantime, here is a thought nugget:

"He can who thinks he can, and he can't who thinks he can't. This is an inexorable, indisputable law."
~Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment