Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Good Blog Things Coming!

 


Thanksgiving is over and I hope everyone that celebrates it had a great holiday! Thanksgiving is at the top of the list for my most favorite holiday because it involves counting our blessings and being with family and friends. No gift giving or parties or having to decorate the house, just enjoying the day with those we love and hold dear. Thanksgiving was especially meaningful this year considering it has been two years since we were able to spend it with family due to the pandemic. I feel blessed that we could do it this year and hope that we don't have to cancel it again in the future for any reason.

So, what are you stitching? Have you been working on something special as a gift or a decoration for your home? I know many start on holiday stitching as early as July and some as late as December. It doesn't really matter what your timetable is or even if you manage to get it done on time, the most important thing is that you are stitching. Personally, my intentions always start out good and organized to get that stocking or those ornaments made, finished, and wrapped beautifully, but the reality is that the goals are seldom, if ever, met. That's okay, no need to beat yourself up because there is always time to get them done next year. 

The last two years I have been working on getting pieces ready for an exhibition that is to be held by my local fiber arts organization in June of 2022. There are three pieces in all and they comprise the Maiden Series, Iron Maiden, Star Maiden, and Flower Maiden. None of them followed my original vision, patterns changed, colors changed and embellishments changed. I've learned to be adept at making changes on the fly and extreme patience for ripping out stitches or beads that just didn't work. I actually started Flower Maiden over three times. But even after all the trials and tribulations I have to tell you I am amazed at all the things I learned along the way, such as the difficulty level in working with various fibers, how working with beads presents a lot of challenges that I never would have thought would be issues, and how using certain stitching aids can truly make a difference in how your finished piece will look. All these experiences have given me lots more tools in my toolbox for future projects and you only get them by making mistakes and learning from them. I will be sharing some of these things in future blogs and hopefully they will be helpful to you as well. 

I am currently working on a series of four pieces called the Glamour Girls, named after four actresses, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, and Marilyn Monroe. They truly were iconic of Hollywood and its fascinating backstory. But more than that was how these women were able to maintain their careers over decades, except for Marilyn of course, but I am sure if she had not died so soon, she would have experienced the same longevity. Sophia's is well under way and I will share more of these projects in the future. I am very excited about them!

So here is the wrap-up. Many great blog things will be coming down the pike that I think you will enjoy. Fun things! Also, I will note here that my camera phone refuses to interact with my laptop. I will be trying a few different things to get pictures on here but it may take a little time as one will require me learning how to use an SLR digital camera. I have been monkeying around with this issue for quite some time now so I am anxious to move forward with it. I think I have some images that I transferred a long time ago when I was able so I may use those for a bit in the interim. 

That's it for now, so let's get busy and create!

No comments:

Post a Comment