Thursday, October 1, 2020

OCTOBER


It's easy to see the changing of the seasons but have you ever smelled it? I know this sounds crazy but as soon as October hits, I can not only see the changing season but I can smell it too. The air is different somehow, not crisper, because here in Oklahoma October usually stays pretty warm, but a drier kind of smell filled with nature drying up and going to bed for the winter. Since burning leaves is not allowed within most city limits you don't get to smell that as often but when my husband and I go motorcycle riding, you can smell it in the country air. That is one of my favorites!


Speaking of motorcycle riding, I may be taking a little more time away from stitching because fall is the perfect riding weather before it gets too cold. 

With the start of fall I thought it would be fun to talk about some fall projects. There are two Mill Hill kits that are languishing that I am dying to start and finish. I love Mill Hill Kits and their kits are great to learn on. I learned many things from doing their kits, especially beading. Don't pass up an opportunity to try one of them out if you get the chance, particularly their earlier ones.



I don't know if I will get to them because I have to continue working on Star Maiden, especially since I stepped away from it for about a week because my carpal tunnel was acting up. I especially would like to get the "Family Frolic" completed and turn it into a box-it. I can then show you how to do those too!

Cooking is another distraction I like to do in the fall. I hate heating up my kitchen in the summer but love baking in the fall. I found an apple crisp recipe I want to make and if it is a success I'll share it with you. Apples and cinnamon are the scents of autumn as far as I'm concerned. I have never cooked so much as I have since COVID started here in March. I'm still working on the perfect meatloaf but got the perfect stew down!

I have also been neglecting my online book club and need to get busy reading. Right now I am reading a book appropriate for October, it's about a haunted manor house. It's a new author and the book is a quick read so we'll see if I will want to read any more of her work when I'm done with this one.  More on that next time. 

I did finally find some Charles Craft better quality 14 ct. Aida in a decent size for my work from Michaels. I also had an order for some Etoile from DMC and after a month emailed them this week and found out it had been misplaced and they were going to process it immediately. All this time I thought it was a delay because of COVID. I'm glad it was just to replace what I used and not that I needed to continue working. 

What are you working on? What is your favorite time of year to stitch, cook, read? I'd love to find out so let me know. 

Until next time, Keep Creating!

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment